When you are upgrading your Timeslips, it's easy to overlook some of the preparation that needs to be done. Here's a list of a few things to keep in mind before you start your Timeslips installation and data conversion.
- Run Data Verification on your current copy of Timeslips. If there are any errors, get them corrected before you install and convert your new Timeslips upgrade. An upgrade will not fix data errors.
- Do not install the new Timeslips upgrade over top the existing Timeslips version. This will overwrite your old Timeslips version. You always want to keep a copy of your old Timeslips version in tact. If you suspect there are any problems with the data conversion, you can always open the previous Timeslips version to verify the data. I believe the Timeslips installation instructions tell you to install in the same folder as the previous Timeslips version. Here's what you do instead:
- Rename your old Timeslips program folder (I'm assuming this is where the Data folder is also located). You might name it something like Timeslip2005
- Make a new Timeslips folder. Name it Timeslips
- Open the old Timeslps program folder (Timeslips2005) and Select All to copy all the programs and Data folder.
- Open the new Timeslips folder (Timeslips)and paste all the files and data folder(s) from the old version. Now you have two identical copies of the old Timeslips program in two different folders.
- Install the new Timeslips upgrade in the new Timeslips folder. Once you have installed the Timeslips folder now contains the latest version of Timeslips. You can convert your data. Now you have the old Timeslips version in its original form located in the Timeslips2005 folder and the latest Timeslips upgrade located in the Timeslips folder.
- If you suspect a data problem in the new Timeslips conversion, you can simply close the new program and open your old Timeslips version to run reports or just review the data.