Timeslips and Spreadsheets:
Why would you want to use a spreadsheet for making time entries for Timeslips? Some clients have found the spreadsheet time-entry method a good alternative to purchasing additional Timeslips licenses or eCenter licenses. It may not be appropriate in all cases, but it's fairly easy to set up spreadsheet templates and then import them into Timeslips.
The initial Timeslips set up could take a little time at the start up. However, once you have established all the parameters in both Timeslips and the spreadsheet, importing the spreadsheet slips to Timeslips is quite simple.
Is This a Good Option for You?
Would this work for you? Here are some questions to answer:
- Are your Timeslips timekeepers only entering time and expenses?
- If the answer is "Yes", then this is a good option for you.
- Do your Timeslips timekeepers need access to any or all of the following:
- Client Information
- Accounts Receivable
- Set up new Clients/Matters
- If the answer to any of these is "Yes", then the spreadsheet Timekeeper time entry would not be a good option
How to Make it Work:
Some things to keep in mind if you are considering using spreadsheets for Timeslips timekeeper entry:
- The spreadsheet format must be consistent
- There are required fields in Timeslips* and these must be included in your spreadsheet template
- The "ID" fields used in the spreadsheet must match the Timeslips ID fields, such as:
- Timekeeper ID
- Client/Matter ID
* Some of the Timeslips "required fields" can be set up as a "default" on the Timeslips import template. This is something that can be determined on a case-by-case basis.
As the price of Timeslips (as well as other Time and Billing software options) is becoming increasingly expensive, we find many of the smaller firms, in particular, looking for alternatives. If the spreadsheet option will work for it, it would allow you to purchase just a single-user Timeslips upgrade instead of multiple users. The spreadsheet time entry can be a nice cost-effective solution.
Feel free to give me a call if you would like to discuss further (561) 289-4302 or toll-free (888) 628-5343 x103